Gwinnett County residents don’t have to meet an age requirement to feel the power of play. This July they can visit their nearest park or recreation center to get their play on and celebrate Park and Recreation Month. Parks and Recreation Month is an initiative of the National Recreation and Park Association, and recognizes the many ways that parks and recreation transforms our daily lives. From providing us places to get fit and stay healthy to fostering new relationships and forging a connection with nature, our close-to-home community park and recreation facilities provide essential services and improve quality of life.
Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation will launch the celebration with a proclamation by the Gwinnett County Board of Commissioners on June 27 at 2 p.m. at the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center, 75 Langley Drive in Lawrenceville. The month will continue with ongoing activities and special events:
- July 3 at 7 p.m. – Stars & Stripes Family Night at Lenora Park Pool, 4515 Lenora Church Road, Snellville. Spend the evening with us for a patriotic celebration in the pool. Admission fees and pool rules apply. Twilight rules do not apply. Call 770-982-5309 for more information.
- July 6 at 7 p.m. – Dance Party Family Night at Bethesda Park Aquatic Center, 225 Bethesda Church Road, Lawrenceville. Celebrate National Parks and Recreation Month with a Dance Party for the whole family! No registration required. All pool rules and admission fees apply. Twilight rates do not apply. For more information, call 678-277-0880.
- July 11 at 6:30 p.m. – Family Night Swim Dip N’ Dine at Mountain Park Aquatic Center, 1063 Rockbridge Road, Stone Mountain. Stop by for an evening swim and dinner; a great time for the entire family. Pizza will be available for purchase. All pool rules and fees apply. Twilight rates do not apply. Call 678-277-0870 for more information.
- July 14 at 11 a.m. – Brown Bag Summer Concert at the Gwinnett Historic Courthouse, 185 W. Crogan St., Lawrenceville. Pack a lunch and enjoy the music and entertainment as it fills the air at this free event. Kid’s activities include lawn games, face painting, Krazy hair and crafts. For more information, call 770-822-5450.
- July 14 at 6:30 p.m. – Family Night at Collins Hill Park Aquatic Center, 2225 Collins Hill Road, Lawrenceville. Come out for a swim under the stars! Regular entry fees and all pool rules apply. Twilight rates do not apply. All ages. For more information, call 770-237-5647.
- July 15 at 6:30 p.m. – Life Size Game Day at West Gwinnett Park Aquatic Center, 4488 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Berkeley Lake. Join us for some life-size games, such as Battleship and Hungry Hungry Hippos. We will also open up our leisure pool for you to relax outside. Prizes awarded. Ages 4 – up. For more information, call 678-407-8801.
- July 15 at 10 a.m. – Family Fun Day at the Farm at McDaniel Farm Park, 3251 McDaniel Road, Duluth. Celebrate National Hot Dog Day at this free event, with food trucks, vendors, hay ride, games and more. Call 678-277-0900 for more information.
- July 21 at 6 p.m. – Get Your Play On! Kid’s Night Out at Mountain Park Activity Building, 1063 Rockbridge Road, Stone Mountain. Kids, come play all your favorite games and chow down on some pizza. Ages 7 – 13; $13/child, must pre-register by July 19 online with code MPA31401 or call 678-277-0179.
- July 21 at 6 p.m. – Bogan Kids Club – Let the Games Begin! at Bogan Park Aquatic Center, 2723 N. Bogan Road, Buford. Come celebrate with a night of swimming, dinner, games and fun! Bring your swim suit, towel and a change of clothes. All pool rules apply. Ages 6 – 12; $8/person, must pre-register by July 20 online with code BOP21999 or call 678-277-0853.
- July 22 at 11 a.m. – Scavenge-ART Hunt at Pinckneyville Park Community Recreation Center, 4650 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Berkeley Lake. At this free event, gather a list of goodies from nature, bring them back to the center, and build crafty creations to take home. All ages; no cost but pre-register online with code PVP31425 by July12 or call 678-277-0920.
- July 22 at 6:30 p.m. – Wild Rumpus Pool Party at Lenora Park Pool, 4315 Lenora Church Road, Snellville. Bring your little Wild Things and join Max and friends, complete with the Gwinnett County Public Library’s read of “Where the Wild Things Are,” mystical fishing, a treasure hunt, and wild treats. All ages; $8/person. Kids age 2 and under are free. Pre-register by July 14 online with code LEP35102 or call 770-982-5309.
- July 25 at 6:30 p.m. – Ahoy! It’s Pirate Night at Mountain Park Aquatic Center, 1063 Rockbridge Road, Stone Mountain. Go on an adventure to find the buried treasure, create a one of a kind eye patch, and then relax with some pirate’s booty snacks. All pool rules and admission fees apply. Twilight rates do not apply. $6/person at the door. For more information, call 678-277-0870.
- July 28 at 6:30 p.m. – Back to School Family Night at West Gwinnett Park Aquatic Center, 4488 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Berkeley Lake. Get your math and reading juices flowing with education-centered games designed for fun in the water. All pool rules and admission fees apply. Twilight rates do not apply. Call 678-407-8801 for more information.
NRPA is celebrating the month by hosting a weekly contest encouraging people to show why play is so important in their lives. Visit www.nrpa.org/July for more information on how to participate. Entries can be submitted via the hashtag #NRPAPlayChallenge. NRPA also encourages all people who support parks and recreation to share the importance of play with the hashtag #PlayOnJuly.
To learn more about Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation, visit www.gwinnettparks.com.
Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation, a finalist for the national Gold Medal Award presented by the National Recreation and Park Association after winning it in 2008, provides high quality, broad-based parks, facilities, programs and services creating a sense of community, enabling a safe and secure environment, and enhancing Gwinnett’s quality of life.